Monday, April 11, 2011

So far, I have enjoyed reading Cradle to Cradle. I am definitely in favor of the concept of using technological innovations to help solve our environmental problems. I certainly support the idea of “upcycling”. However, one immediate question that I had about the book was the about the physical book itself. How are Durabooks made? As I understand it, the synthetic paper of a durabook is made out of recycled plastic. But I am curious as to how this is made from recycled plastic and if there are any environmental ramifications.

Another criticism of the book is that it seems to embrace the notion of capitalism and consumption, when these two factors have led to the dire environmental situations we face today. In the short run, however, I feel that we must use capitalism to our advantage when protecting the environment. The adoption and use of cradle to cradle thinking spurs innovation which in turn drives the economy. Olivia mentioned that one of the drawbacks to C2C is that it will take time to fully integrate it into our industries. While, I don’t disagree with this, I do think that the adoption of C2C will happen much sooner than ending our consumption habits. As we are in a dire situation, especially with regards to climate change, I think it is important to come up with solutions sooner rather than later.

Yet at the same time that I support the development of C2C, I think there needs to be a shift away from the consumerism that is engrained in our psyches. Not only is this damaging to the environment, but I think it is also a detriment to our happiness. A combination of changing our habits/ how we are socialized and a move to C2C production will hopefully allow us to accomplish our goals of mitigating environmental disaster as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment