Monday, April 18, 2011

a great surprise

To be blatantly honest I had very low expectations for the class and only took it because it was a block class that fulfilled necessary credits towards my SIS major but I found myself really enjoying the class. IT exceeded all my expectations and overall turned out to be a wonderful experience. Though I am generally very skeptical of the statistics, data, and analysis provided by many environmentalists, I thought that the class did a good job of providing an even and fair perspective of environmental issues. What I also enjoyed was that the class was more than simply arguing, “something must be done” but rather was devoted to finding out exactly what that something should be. From the class I received a much more open view of environmental issues. I also gained a new respect for the sheer magnitude of these problems. One thing that I did not get from the class, thankfully, was a pessimistic outlook towards the environment. Undoubtedly change will happen in our environment, but I think that humans can adapt to face the challenges of our world.

Overall I really enjoyed the class. Though I do not think I held the same views as the majority of the class I think that as a whole we managed some very interesting and education discussions. We also managed to keep them quite civil which is an impressive feat when talking about a topic as emotional as the environment. I would like to thank professor Nicholson for providing such an open forum for environmental debate and I think the class was run in a perfect manner for facilitating the divided opinions with regards to the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment