Sunday, February 20, 2011

yumm

Because I am certain no one in will my group will harshly judge me for my food preferences I suppose I can answer honestly by saying that I honestly have not once thought about environmental impact when making my food choices. I make food choices based upon what tastes good, what I am in the mood for at any particular time, and most importantly what is cheap and easily accessible. I am not a vegetarian and eat meat at every sitting. Truth be told I really have not considered the environmental impact of my eating habits and even taking the environment into consideration would probably not change them. Again the majority of my food making decisions is based upon price and convenience so if environmentally friendly foods were more accessible and more reasonably priced, or on the same note if meat products and other non eco friendly food sources became much less convenient or much more expensive, I would probably change my food habits, but until that time I am skeptical as to my ability to change.

In the past few days I have consumed a wide variety of food, probably all of which having a substantial environmental impact, but the item with the greatest impact was most likely consumed exactly 2 days ago. My grandpa took me out to lunch at Capital Grille in Friendship. It has an unnecessary e in the spelling of grill so you not it's a good spot. There, I got the Rib eye Steak Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Havarti Cheese. 1200 calories of awesomeness. It was also served with Parmesan Truffle French fries. Seeing how it was a big slab of beef the environmental footprint is already through the roof, and then you add in something like truffle French fries and your taking out the planet single handedly. The beef was probably imported from across the nation and if I had to guess I would hypothesize that the truffles used in the truffle oil for the fries was not locally grown… Overall the meal certainly had a substantial environmental impact, especially if you take into consideration the amount of grain used to feed the cow that provided my bountiful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment